Andropause is sometimes referred to as “male menopause” and is a term for the hormonal changes that men go through as they get older. When women go through menopause, their estrogen and progesterone production stops, which can cause menopausal symptoms like hot flashes and mood swings. Men do not drastically stop producing testosterone. Their hormone levels decrease as they age and lead to symptoms like hypogonadism, loss of muscle mass, and low energy levels.
If you or a loved one begin experiencing symptoms of low testosterone or androgen levels, you can get andropause therapy for men at Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates to regulate your hormone levels. In addition, our physicians provide several services to help men boost their hormone levels.
Andropause Therapy Helps Men Whose Testosterone Levels Have Dropped
Andropause therapy for men largely applies to testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). However, other androgen losses can also make men symptomatic and require androgen replacement therapy. At our facility, you can get TRT through certain therapies to treat specific symptoms of low testosterone levels, such as platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy.
Canadian Family Physician found TRT as an effective andropause therapy for helping men reduce their symptoms of low or hypoandrogenism. However, at the time of the report (2001), andropause therapy was still relatively new and required more research. Since then, this treatment has been suggested to help men with sexual disorders caused by low testosterone, provided physicians explain the risks associated with this therapy, per Mayo Clinic.
Symptoms of Male Menopause
As men reach the age of 40, their testosterone levels decrease by one to two percent each year. The gradual testosterone decline can cause a hormonal imbalance as men age, leading to symptoms such as:
- Hypogonadism (the testicles produce little to no sexual hormones for reproduction)
- Decreased libido and other sexual dysfunctions, including erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Loss of muscle mass
- Loss of bone density, including diagnosed osteoporosis
- Gynecomastia (development of male breasts)
- Lower energy levels and fatigue
- Mood changes, including depression
- Weight gain
- Insomnia and other sleeping disorders
- Decreased concentration
- Hair loss
Many men do not realize their testosterone levels have decreased as they get older since these changes happen gradually. However, men younger than 40 who exhibit these symptoms may want to get their hormone levels checked out in case they are experiencing onset andropause.
If you or a loved one is going through hormonal changes that are inhibiting your way of life, be it your sexual life or exercise lifestyle, Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates offers andropause therapy for men to help them regain their strength and general wellness so that they can return to regular activities.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy Allows Men to Alleviate Andropause Symptoms
The Journal of Sexual Medicine released an update on testosterone replacement therapy in 2020, noting that this procedure can be a safe and effective method to treating andropause in men with proper dosages and monitoring.
Through TRT, men receive compounded hormones that boost their testosterone levels These hormones then encourage the patient to naturally produce testosterone and other androgens, which has effects on men’s:
- Cognitive-behavioral processes
- Bone structure
- Sexual performance
Testosterone plays a role in several areas of the body for both men and women, so when these levels are low, it can cause significant health impacts on the individual. Through TRT, patients can reduce or eliminate andropause symptoms and live more comfortably.
Benefits of Andropause Therapy
Benefits of andropause therapy include:
- Increase in muscle mass and strength
- Increase in bone density
- Regulated libido and better sexual performance
- Loss of excess weight, including breast tissue
- Better self-esteem
- Regulated iron levels in the bloodstream
Our facility also supplements andropause therapy with customized nutritional plans and exercise regimens to help men strengthen their bodies and improve their overall health. In doing so, men can sleep better, gradually build muscle mass at a healthy rate, and reduce their stress levels.
Our Physicians Will Monitor Your Progress for Any Side Effects
There are some side effects to look out for when getting andropause therapy, as with any medical procedure. Because this treatment uses compounded testosterone, which mimics the body’s own natural testosterone production, there is an increased risk of prostate cancer if the patient already has these cells in their body.
As such, throughout your treatment, our facility may perform routine bloodwork to monitor your testosterone levels and other cell levels to keep an eye out for potential cancer development or other illnesses.
What to Expect in Your Andropause Therapy Appointment at Our Facility
When you come to our office for a medical appointment, you can expect the following treatment:
- We will have you fill out a medical history questionnaire and other forms. Before you receive any treatment, we will want to know if you have any preexisting conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, so that we can determine whether andropause therapy may be right for you. In addition, you will have an opportunity to discuss your current health condition with one of our physicians during your appointment.
- We will perform a physical exam on you. Next, our physician will check your vitals and other symptoms to determine the severity of your condition and whether you are in a proper state to receive treatment.
- We will take blood samples to send to the lab. Finally, we will draw some blood to test your hormone levels and other health concerns to determine how to prescribe your andropause therapy, such as the type of TRT or the dosage you receive.
If you have further questions about your treatment, we will answer them during your appointment.
Call Today to Get Started with Your Andropause Therapy
If your testosterone levels have dropped due to the aging process, you can get andropause therapy to boost those levels and reduce symptoms caused by low testosterone or other androgens. At Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates, we offer andropause therapy to help men feel like themselves again. In addition, we can help you restore your overall health so that you feel strong in your body and mind.
Call today to set up your first appointment at our Port Orange office location.