We are all searching for ways to remain active, strong, and young. As we age, the body’s natural healing and regenerative abilities tend to slow down, and we feel the effects of time. Some of us even try new therapies and technology to slow down or reverse the aging process.
Focal shockwave therapy is a treatment gaining popularity as it is a non-invasive technique to stimulate your body’s natural healing and regenerative processes. Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates is a proud provider of this innovative therapy, serving Daytona Beach and other Florida cities.
What Is Focal Shockwave Therapy?
Also known as acoustic wave therapy, focal shockwave therapy involves using low-intensity sound waves to stimulate tissue and cells and increase blood flow to promote healing and repair.
Focal shockwave therapy has been around for 20 years. It’s an acceptable alternative to conventional treatments like prescription medications and surgery to treat a variety of health issues, including:
- Chronic pain
- Plantar fasciitis (heel pain)
- Tennis elbow
- Knee pain
- Erectile dysfunction
- Trigger point muscle pain
- Shoulder calcification
- Hip pain
- Scar tissue
If you are dealing with any of the above health problems, focal shockwave therapy may be the right treatment option for you.
How Does Focal Shockwave Therapy Work?
A team member will apply a gel to the area that needs treatments to promote easier shockwave travel. A shockwave device held close to your skin delivers a series of shockwaves through the area of tissue. These shockwaves stimulate blood flow and growth hormones to promote the healing and regeneration of tissue.
- Pain relief: The treatment relieves pain via two mechanisms, one of which is by overwhelming local nerve endings to reduce activity and the other by recalibrating the way your nerve endings perceive pain.
- Stimulating blood flow: A reduction in blood flow to muscles can negatively impact performance and recovery time and healing from injury. Focal shockwave therapy increases the blood flow to your muscles to facilitate quicker healing and recovery.
- Reduce inflammation: Inflammation is generally not helpful to the body, but shockwave therapy releases cells from inflammation so you can heal more efficiently.
- Trigger points: Shockwave therapy can act as a massage to release trigger points and relieve chronic pain from your trigger points.
- Improve physical appearance: The use of focal shockwave therapy to improve the appearance of the skin surface is increasing. Treatments include skin toning/firming, scars, stretch marks, remodeling, smoothing, improving muscle tone and shape, fat reduction, and skin tightening.
- Erectile dysfunction: Because focal shockwave therapy promotes increased blood flow, it’s particularly effective at treating erectile dysfunction. The therapy is also useful in repairing penile nerves and the smooth muscle of the penis.
Focal shockwaves therapy sessions take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete, and they are generally painless, although some patients do experience some discomfort depending on their injury and its location. We will apply a topical gel to reduce discomfort and it will go away after treatment.
You may need more than one treatment over several weeks, but you should begin to see or feel the results immediately or within weeks, but most people notice benefits in one to three months.
The Effectiveness of Focal Shockwave Therapy
Focal shockwave therapy is not only a safe and painless non-invasive treatment, but it’s also effective. Multiple scholarly studies have examined the therapy’s effectiveness in treating tendon pain, plantar fasciitis, erectile dysfunction, and other musculoskeletal conditions.
For example, patients saw a reduction in pain and increased functionality and quality of life after undergoing focal shockwave therapy to treat tendon injuries and pain (Materiasociomedica). In another study, patients found that focal shockwave therapy effectively treated their plantar fasciitis (Acta Ortopedica Brasileira)
And finally, in a study of 20 men with erectile dysfunction for nearly three years on average, 15 showed an improvement in erectile function by undergoing focal shockwave therapy (Therapeutic Advances in Urology). More studies are necessary to fully apprehend how effective focal shockwave therapy is on erectile dysfunction, but the results are already promising.
There are no known serious side effects of focal shockwave therapy treatment, making it a safe option for patients like you who prefer alternatives to conventional options like surgery.
The results of focal shockwave therapy usually last for several months up to a year or more, depending on what you had treatment for and how your body responds or reacts.
Every patient is different, so you must manage your expectations and understand that your results may not last as long as another patient. Your body may simply need time to adjust to the treatment.
Cost of Focal Shockwave Therapy in Daytona Beach
The cost of focal shockwave therapy will vary depending on what kind of treatment you undergo. If you are undergoing focal shockwave therapy to heal an injury or reduce pain, it will cost approximately $250 per treatment, per area.
For treating erectile dysfunction, the cost is a little higher at $400-$500 per treatment.
Insurance plans do not cover focal shockwave therapy, so you should expect to pay for your treatment out of pocket. We are a cash practice.
Schedule Your Focal Shockwave Therapy Treatment in Volusia County
Our goal here at Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates is to treat patients like you through an integrative approach. This consists of traditional medicine focusing on health and wellness combined with state-of-the-art techniques and technology. Focal shockwave therapy is on the cutting edge, and it’s only improving and adapting.
Call (386) 366-7418 to Book an Anti Aging Consultation
We strive to maximize your health while offering alternatives to reduce or eliminate your pain without requiring invasive treatments. We want you to feel better, feel stronger, and feel younger. If you believe focal shockwave therapy may be right for you, call for a free case evaluation in Daytona Beach today.