There are many causes of low libido in women. Some of the leading causes include:
- Hormone changes, such as during menopause or pregnancy
- Medications, particularly antidepressants
- Chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes or coronary artery disease
- Sexual dysfunctions, such as feeling pain during sex
- Substance use, including alcohol or tobacco
- Relationship problems
- Mental health disorders, such as depression or anxiety
- Other psychological factors, such as low self-esteem or sexual trauma
If you or a loved one are suffering from low libido, our facility in Port Orange can do diagnostic tests to see if low testosterone or other androgen levels are the cause of your low libido or if another issue is present. We also offer hormone replacement therapy (HRT), including testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), which can help women boost their sexual drive.
Hormonal Changes Are a Major Cause of Low Libido in Women
SAGE Journals published a report that explains the role of various hormones and how they affect women’s sexual health. Estrogen largely stimulates sexual function in women, but so do androgens, which are produced in the adrenal gland and ovaries. This includes testosterone production, which affects sexual desire and arousal in women along with many other sex-related functions.
When women go through hormonal changes, their testosterone or estrogen levels can drop, affecting their ability to feel sexual arousal or stimulation. Hormonal changes can occur:
- During premenopausal and menopausal age
- During pregnancy
- When a woman is breastfeeding
- After a relationship breakup (especially a long-term relationship)
- After a major life event, such as a death in the family
- After surgery involving the reproductive system
Women who feel distressed about their low libido may be diagnosed with hypoactive sexual disorder. But you do not have to be diagnosed with this disorder to get treatment if you are generally unsatisfied with how your libido is affecting your sex life.
Low Hormone Levels Can Lead to Other Issues Beyond Your Libido
If you have low testosterone or other hormone levels, these changes can negatively affect your overall health. For example, low testosterone levels in women can cause:
- Hair loss
- Bone density problems, including osteoporosis
- Muscle mass loss
- Weight gain or fluctuations
- Depression, anxiety, or other mental health effects
Our facility can test your hormone levels to determine your current health standing and then prescribe a treatment to address your needs. Whether we prescribe medication or have you undergo PRP stem cell therapy, we will use a treatment method that is appropriate for your symptoms and health goals.
Call (386) 366-7418 to Book an Anti Aging Consultation
Medication and Hormonal Treatments Exist to Help Women with Low Sexual Libido
The following treatment options exist for women who suffer from low libido:
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT): Depending on the type of HRT you receive – for example, testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) – you can boost your hormonal levels via injection, dermal gels, and other transdermal methods. The Journal of Women’s Health & Gender-Based Medicine reported positive results on women with hypoactive sexual disorder who received HRT, noting that an increase in androgen levels also increased libido.
- Medications: Currently, patients can take flibanserin (Addyi), which is a pill that can be taken at night, or bremelonotide (Vyleesi), which is applied via injection just before engaging in sexual activity. Both of these medications have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, Mayo Clinic confirms that some side effects may occur.
- Vaginal DHEA: If you suffer from vaginal dryness, you may be prescribed a vaginal DHEA, which is a hormone suppository. This treatment is also known to increase “genital sensitivity,” which can help women with low libido stimulate their sexual responses.
Our physicians can discuss treatment options with you during your first appointment. When you come in, we will conduct a physical exam and take some blood to perform lab work. This allows us to determine if your hormone levels are affecting your libido or if another underlying cause is to blame, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
Once we understand what factors are lowering your sexual drive, we will then take steps to help you improve your sexual and overall health. This may also involve changing your diet or introducing an exercise routine to encourage wellness.
Learn More About Hormone Therapy Options for Low Libido in Women
At Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates, we offer hormone replacement treatment to help both men and women who suffer from low libido and other sexual dysfunctions due to low androgen levels. If you or a loved one are suffering from low libido or other signs of low testosterone or estrogen levels, we invite you to visit our facility to discuss which options are available to you.
Our physicians will talk you through what causes low libido in women and determine if there are other factors besides your hormone levels that need to be treated. You do not have to suffer from low libido any longer. Call (386) 366-7418 today to schedule your appointment.