Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is a medical treatment that helps both men and women stabilize their hormone levels. This treatment involves creating compounded bio-identical hormones out of plant estrogen, but the appeal behind BHRT is that these hormones are chemically identical to the hormones we naturally produce as humans.
If you or a loved one is experiencing symptoms related to low hormone levels, our treatment facility in Port Orange offers BHRT to help men and women restore their estrogen and testosterone levels so they can feel more energized and healthier again. We can discuss the benefits and risks of BHRT and perform a physical exam to see if this treatment is right for you.
Who Can Get Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Both men and women can use bio-identical hormone replacement therapy as a treatment, though BHRT is often used to help women who are experiencing menopausal or perimenopausal symptoms.
BHRT is also used to treat people who have:
- Adrenal and thyroid disorders
- Insulin resistance
People who notice signs of aging in their skin may opt to use BHRT as an anti-aging therapy. According to the Dermatology Online Journal, this treatment helps reduce wrinkles and hydrates the skin, giving it more elasticity.
How Does BHRT Help Women Going Through Menopause or Perimenopause?
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy increases hormone levels in the body. If a woman has low estrogen and progesterone levels due to menopause or perimenopause, we can use BHRT to improve those levels with synthetic hormones.
Increasing the patient’s appropriate hormone levels is likely to help reduce or moderate symptoms related to menopause, such as:
- Hot flashes
- Problems with libido or sexual intercourse
- Mood swings
- Night sweats
- Weight fluctuation
- Insomnia and other sleeping problems
- Memory loss
BHRT exists in various forms, from pills to injections. Our facility can monitor your BHRT treatment and adjust dosages when necessary to stabilize your hormone levels and reduce your menopausal symptoms.
What Other Benefits Exist with BHRT?
As mentioned above, BHRT can be used as a form of cancer treatment. According to the Journal of Clinical Oncology, BHRT has been found to reduce the following symptoms in cancer patients:
- Urinary incontinence
- Insomnia and other sleeping problems
- Low libido
Some patients also report experiencing an overall improvement in their quality of life while engaging in BHRT during cancer treatment.
Call (386) 366-7418 to Book an Anti Aging Consultation
Are There Other Types of Hormone Replacement Therapy Available?
Yes. Other forms of hormone replacement therapy include:
- Systemic hormone therapy: Also referred to as traditional hormone replacement therapy (HRT), this treatment uses female hormones (e.g., estrogen, progesterone, and progestin) to treat menopausal symptoms. Hormone therapy may come in pills, patches, gels, implants, or sprays.
- Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT): TRT focuses on testosterone hormones and is often prescribed to men, though women may also benefit from TRT depending on their health condition. TRT can help alleviate symptoms related to low testosterone levels, such as erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, bone density and muscle mass loss, and mood swings.
- Low-dose vaginal products: These products often only contain estrogen hormones and target specific menopausal symptoms, such as vaginal dryness or urinary incontinence. You may need to supplement these products with hormone therapy if you experience additional or more severe symptoms of menopause.
Is Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe for Patients?
The safety behind BHRT varies by patient, which is why our physicians will first send your blood for lab work to ensure that this treatment is a good option for improving your hormone levels.
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) is currently conducting studies on the safety of bio-identical hormone replacement therapy, which is why it has yet to be approved. However, bio-identical estradiol and progesterone have already received approval from the FDA. Some of the risks associated with BHRT include:
- Increased risk for breast cancer, endometrial cancer, and prostate cancer
- Blood clotting
- Stroke, heart attack, and heart disease
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Gallbladder disease
More research needs to be completed before any conclusive statements can be made about the safety of BHRT. As such, our physicians will be transparent about the treatments we provide and may suggest other forms of hormone therapy if necessary.
What Are the Side Effects of BHRT?
Side effects of BHRT are generally mild and may include:
- Weight gain
- Fatigue or tiredness
- Mood swings
- Mild facial changes, such as increased facial hair or acne
If you experience any form of pain or your menopausal symptoms worsen, consult your physician as soon as possible.
Get Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy at Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates
At Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates, we offer bio-identical hormone replacement therapy as a treatment option for women going through menopause and perimenopause. We also use BHRT as an anti-aging treatment for those who want to reduce wrinkles and improve their overall skin health.
To learn more about the benefits of BHRT, schedule an appointment at our facility by calling (386) 366-7418 today.