Which treatments work best for hair loss will most likely depend on what is causing your hair loss. We can help you figure out both the cause of your hair loss and the most promising possible solutions. Effective hair loss treatments may include hormone replacement therapy, platelet-rich plasma, changes in diet and exercise, and more.
Hair Loss Causes and Treatments
Many people, regardless of gender, experience hair loss or thinning as they age. Potential causes include:
- Hormonal imbalances
- A combination of the above
A doctor from our office can examine you, identify the cause(s) of your hair loss, and devise a treatment plan designed especially for you.
Hormone Replacement Therapy
Also called HRT, hormone replacement therapy is not just one treatment. Rather, it describes many therapies that can help hair loss patients by:
- Increasing testosterone: It is natural for men’s testosterone levels to decrease as they age. However, men who lose too much too quickly are at greater risk of symptoms like hair loss. We can boost male patients’ testosterone levels to help stop hair loss.
- Decreasing testosterone: Too much testosterone could lead to hair loss in women. Our HRT can help bring testosterone levels down to where they should be, which in turn can halt hair loss and other symptoms in women.
- Decreasing estrogen: Just like an excess of testosterone, an excess of estrogen may also cause hair loss in women. Again, HRT can bring a patient’s hormone levels back into a healthy balance.
- Correcting thyroid-based imbalances: If hypothyroidism is behind your hair loss, we can prescribe medication to restore normal thyroid function—and, as a consequence, stop hair loss.
Every patient has different hormone levels and needs. That is why it is so important to let us examine you before beginning any treatment. Then, we can figure out exactly what dosage to give you and how often, which may make the procedure safer and more effective.
Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy
Originally used as a treatment for joint injuries, platelet-rich plasma therapy, or PRP, has been successful at reversing hair loss. Derived from your blood, PRP helps heal damaged cells and blood vessels by increasing the white blood cells and platelets to the affected region. When used for hair loss, PRP stimulates the growth cycle which in turn increases hair growth.
PRP therapy starts by drawing your blood. Since we use your own blood, this limits the risks of bloodborne illnesses. We then process your blood through a centrifuge. The spinning action of the centrifuge separates the blood into three components, one of which being platelet-rich plasma.
The PRP is then injected into the scalp over the course of months to stimulate hair growth. Clients have not only seen an improvement in hair growth but also in thickness. During your consultation, we can discuss whether this is a viable option for you.
While we do not offer psychiatric services, we do offer several treatments that can help relieve the symptoms of mental illness. These include:
- IV infusion therapy: This treatment can deliver crucial nutrients into your system quickly—much more quickly than you could get those same nutrients orally. Once you start feeling the effects of this treatment, you may experience higher energy levels and reduced anxiety.
- Dietary changes: Some foods are better at promoting emotional health than others. We take each patient’s dietary needs, preferences, and sensitivities into account as we design a diet plan to boost their mental health.
- A new exercise regimen: While not a cure-all, exercise, as the Mayo Clinic states, is a healthy way to cope with stress, improve mood, and boost self-esteem. We help patients figure out what exercises are safe—and fun—for them.
We Work Closely with All Hair Loss Patients
One patient reported that after years of being told his problems were “‘all in my head,’” treatment with our office caused his life to do “a complete 180.” Our team firmly believes that the best way to treat a patient is by keeping them actively involved in the treatment process from beginning to end. We work closely with our patients to:
Define Treatment Goals
To prevent unwelcome surprises and help patients get the most out of treatment, we have honest conversations with them about all the following and more:
- How long it may take for treatments to take full effect
- The strengths and weaknesses of each treatment
- Why the patient is seeking treatment
- What results the patient desires by the end of the treatment
Our doctors use this information to design more effective treatment plans and ensure patients understand what they are getting into.
All medical procedures carry some degree of risk, but our doctors take steps to mitigate those risks. To keep our patients safe and healthy, we:
- Review their medical history, both by speaking directly to them and by requesting their full medical records
- Explain prospective treatments, including all their risks and benefits
- Answer every single question to the patient’s satisfaction
- Respond to patient calls in a timely manner
Every patient deserves proper support during treatment. We do everything possible to make sure they get it.
Manage Side Effects
Each treatment has its own set of potential side effects. Per the Cleveland Clinic, possible side effects of bioidentical hormone use include:
- Mood swings
- Feeling tired
- Gastrointestinal issues (bloating, indigestion, etc.)
- Irritation at the treatment site
Usually, such side effects can be easily managed; we can even suggest remedies to help you cope. However, we also take a proactive stance against serious problems by:
- Following up with patients
- Changing doses
- Stopping treatment if necessary
- Suggesting alternative treatments
Schedule an Appointment Today
To learn more about which hair loss treatments may work best for you, call Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates. We help each patient figure out the cause of their health issues and design a customized treatment regimen that fits their needs.