Internal medicine offers those dealing with complex medical conditions the chance to receive a diagnosis and treatment plan to help them live a better quality of life. Our practice is staffed with board-certified internal medicine providers who can deliver medical care to adults. We can act as your primary care provider or focus on managing and treating your chronic medical conditions.
An Orlando internal medicine physician at Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates can assess your symptoms and provide in-house treatments and therapies after receiving a diagnosis. If you visit our Orlando location we can explain more about our services and how we can help.
Internal Medicine Doctors Can Treat Many Types of Medical Problems
According to the American College of Physicians (ACP), internal medicine is the world’s largest medical specialty. Internal medicine focuses on the care of adult patients. Internal medicine physicians (internists) apply a specific set of knowledge to diagnose and treat their patients. Internists provide compassionate care for healthy adults to those with complex illnesses.
What Conditions Can Internal Medicine Providers Treat?
During internal medicine training, internists learn about each subspecialty so they can diagnose and treat many types of illnesses. They commonly see patients with the following conditions:
- Heart disease: This refers to several types of heart conditions and is the leading cause of death in the United States.
- Diabetes: A chronic condition that affects how your body turns food into energy. Diabetes causes people who have it to not produce enough insulin. If it does produce enough, their body is unable to use the insulin in the way it should.
- Obesity: Someone is considered obese if their Body Mass Index (BMI) is too high. Obesity can cause a variety of health complications such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, stroke, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, and overall difficulty with physical functioning.
- Hypertension: Hypertension is also known as high blood pressure. Blood pressure will usually rise and fall throughout the day. If someone has hypertension, their blood pressure might stay up for too long and cause damage to the heart.
- Allergies: Allergies are your body’s reaction to a substance that is normally harmless. This includes your reaction to molds, pollens, insect stings, animals, and certain foods. Allergies can appear in a variety of ways. Some people experience hives, runny noses, or watery eyes. There are some cases where people experience life-threatening symptoms, such as their throat swelling shut. Treatments include antihistamines, nasal steroids, epinephrine, and decongestants.
- Arthritis: This includes the swelling or tenderness of your joints. Arthritis usually worsens as people age. Joint pain and stiffness are the main symptoms of arthritis. Treatments are different depending on the type and severity of arthritis. Many arthritis treatments focus on reducing symptoms.
While these are common conditions we treat, there are many others our practice, and other internal medicine doctors will treat. With each of these conditions, our internists will try to find the root of the problem when designing a treatment plan.
How Are Internal Medicine Doctors Different From Other Doctors?
Internists are different from family medicine doctors because they focus more on diagnosing diseases that occur in different organs throughout the body. Some of the main differences include:
- Family medicine focuses on treating patients of all ages while internal medicine focuses on treating adults who have unique medical conditions. Since internal medicine doctors only treat adults, their training is more specialized to diagnose and treat diseases that are specifically related to adults.
- Internal medicine physicians are trained in different subspecialties so they can treat their adult patients who have a wide variety of diseases. The subspecialties they are trained in include endocrinology, infectious diseases, neurology, psychiatry, rehabilitative medicine, dermatology, ophthalmology, and gynecology.
Adults can see both family doctors and internal medicine doctors as their primary care providers. Internal medicine doctors are more specialized in identifying the root cause of symptoms someone may be experiencing. Many patients prefer internists as their primary care providers because they have more in-depth knowledge of unique medical needs.
What To Expect at Your First Appointment
When you arrive at our Orlando office, you will be greeted by one of our staff members. They will hand you a questionnaire to fill out. This questionnaire will ask about your health history and symptoms you may be having. Your health history is a very important aspect when determining your treatment plan. Make sure to fill out the questionnaire fully and to be as detailed as possible.
Call (386) 366-7418 to Book an Anti Aging Consultation
Once you have filled out the questionnaire, you will meet with one of our staff members for a consultation. We will review your information and give you details on the treatment options we have available. After you have your consultation, you will meet with one of our internal medicine physicians.
The internal medicine physician will perform a physical and determine a diagnosis if you are having a complex medical issue. If a diagnosis cannot be determined, the physician may ask for you to complete lab work. The lab will take a few days to process your sample. We will schedule a follow-up appointment to go over your lab results. Once a diagnosis is determined, you could start treatments the same day.
What Our Patients Have Said About Our Practice
- “Dr. Jonathan Henriquez is the absolute best, he is super knowledgeable, friendly and professional. And you can genuinely see he is there because he loves to help people live their best life. Couldn’t be happier as a patient!!!!!”
- “If you are looking for a solution to something you are experiencing or dealing with, this is the place to go. He is a different type of Dr., one that actually takes the time to find the root of the problem. Gives you a plan/strategy to correct the issue. Thank you Dr. Jason Schottel for taking the time to sit with us and help us gain some knowledge on how to live better!”
- “Dr. Jonathan Henriquez is absolutely amazing! He’s helped me throughout my whole TBI and he’s a major reason that I’m at where I’m at and you all should go for even the smallest problems!”
Call Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates to Schedule an Appointment With an Orlando Internal Medicine Physician
If you come to our Orlando office, our staff members will provide compassionate and quality care throughout your entire visit. We look forward to creating a long-lasting relationship focusing on your current and future health goals. The staff at Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates wants our patients to live their best and healthiest lives possible. Contact us today to schedule your first visit.