Hair loss, referred to as androgenetic alopecia in medicine, is a common ailment both men and women experience, especially as they age. For some people, hair loss can result from aging or family genetics, while other individuals may suffer from hair loss from other causes.
If you have noticed a significant reduction in hair growth, several treatment options could help you regain hair thickness. Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates offers multiple hair restoration procedures to help you feel more confident in your appearance again. Our facility serves people from Orlando and the surrounding areas in Central Florida.
Not All Hair Restoration Treatment Options Require Transplant Surgery
Hair restoration treatments range from transplant surgery to hormone treatment. You can discuss multiple options with one of our physicians and decide which treatment to pursue based on your health goals, needs, and comfort level.
The following are some hair restoration options.
Hair Transplant Procedures
Surgical options for hair regrowth include follicular unit transplantation (FUT) and follicular unit extraction (FUE), which are both types of hair transplant operations. The main difference between these procedures is that FUT transfers a portion of your scalp that still grows hair to the area that does not, where FUE transfers individual follicles to the area experiencing hair loss.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) found that patients reported less pain and quicker recovery periods when getting FUE surgery over FUT surgery. With both procedures, results are immediate and long-term or permanent, though recovery time can take several months.
If you are not comfortable with undergoing surgery, you do not have to do so. At Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates, we offer non-invasive procedures that we can do in our office.
These hair restoration treatments include:
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy: PRP therapy involves extracting plasma—which is full of platelets—from your blood and injecting it back into the area where there is hair loss. Platelets encourage tissue repair, which can help damaged skin tissue and follicles heal and restore hair growth. The Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery reported noteworthy results after four treatment sessions.
- Stem-cell therapy: Stem-cell therapy is similar to PRP therapy; however, it involves extracting stem cells from a portion of your fatty tissue or bone marrow. Stem cells encourage the growth of collagen, a structural protein that can help heal damaged hair follicles in the scalp. This procedure also combines well with PRP therapy. Results may begin appearing after multiple sessions.
- Microneedling: Microneedling is an aesthetic treatment used to promote collagen growth in the skin. This procedure can be combined with PRP therapy but does not require it. Like PRP and stem-cell therapy, multiple sessions may be necessary before results appear.
Our physicians will discuss your treatment plan and how many sessions you might need to restore hair growth before beginning any procedure.
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
For many people, hair loss is a result of hormone imbalances, particularly testosterone. Testosterone promotes hair growth in both men and women, though at different levels. When people suffer significant testosterone loss unrelated to their age, it might indicate hormonal issues or other underlying health factors.
Our facility offers testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) to help people increase their testosterone levels and restore hair growth in the scalp. However, different forms of hormone replacement therapy are available if other hormonal imbalances might be leading to hair loss.
These treatment options may come in the form of injections and dermal creams, among other products.
Drug Treatment Options
Finally, people can take prescription and over-the-counter medicines to encourage hair growth, though these treatments may take several months to years to produce results. These medicines include:
- Finasteride (Propecia or Proscar), a drug you get a prescription for from a doctor
- Minoxidil (Rogaine), which you can purchase at the pharmacy over the counter in either a foam or liquid form
What to Expect During a Hair Restoration Appointment
If you are coming from Orlando for hair restoration treatment, here are some things we might do to prepare you for treatment and assess your condition:
- Physical exam: Before any type of treatment, we will need to check your vitals, medical history, and current health condition. This allows us to check whether you are healthy for treatment or require other medical care beforehand.
- Questionnaire: Finally, we will ask some general questions about your lifestyle to see how you take care of your hair, what you eat, what medicines you take, and whether you experience chronic stress. This helps us understand if outside causes may be contributing to hair loss.
Causes of Hair Loss can Include More Than Aging and Hereditary Genes
Some causes of hair loss include:
- Hormonal imbalances, such as testosterone loss
- Vitamin deficiencies, which can also indicate other health issues
- Stress from work, relationships, financial concerns, and other life factors
- Medications that list hair loss as a side effect of consistent use
- Certain hair products
- Tight ponytails or hairstyles that strain the hair follicles or scalp
Come to Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates for Hair Restoration Treatment
If you live in Orlando, come over to Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates to discuss hair restoration options and begin your hair growth journey today. One of our physicians can explain which treatment options may be best for you based on your health, current hair condition, and comfort level.
Call our facility today to set up an appointment.