The biggest reason why you should consider Dysport® for migraines is that it is a relatively simple treatment which can give you your life back. With just a few injections performed by a qualified doctor in a safe, sterilized environment, you could experience far fewer headaches per month and be able to spend more time doing the things you need and want to do.
What Dysport® Is and How It Works
Dysport® is the brand name of one particular type of the botulinum toxin that is used in medicine. While it is often used for aesthetic treatments—it can reduce lines and wrinkles caused by the aging process—it can also be very effective at treating certain medical conditions, including migraines.
According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, exactly how the botulinum toxin works to stop migraines is unknown. One theory suggests that it disrupts the nerves responsible for transmitting pain signals to the brain.
There is still much research to be done on the mechanism behind the botulinum toxin, but the key takeaway for you is that it can provide significant relief from frequent, debilitating migraine headaches.
Call (386) 366-7418 to Book an Anti Aging Consultation
Considering Dysport® for Migraines
If other migraine treatments are not working for you, and if you experience at least 15 migraines a month, it may be time to talk to a doctor about Dysport® injections. As one part of an overall treatment plan, your doctor can:
- Examine you to make sure you are a good candidate for this treatment, and that you have no contraindications that could make treatment risky (for example, pregnant patients should not take Dysport®)
- Inject Dysport® into several areas around your face and head—how many shots and where you get them depends on where your migraines originate
- Monitor you for side effects and adjust treatment as necessary
- Follow up with you to see if the injections are having the desired effect, and alter or discontinue treatment if they are not
It can take several weeks for Dysport® injections to have a noticeable effect on your migraines. Some patients may need to return to their doctor for additional injections at a later date.
You may be understandably impatient as you wait for results, but remember that relief could be close at hand. Your doctor can address any questions or concerns you have during this time.
Side Effects of Dysport® for Migraines
As with any other type of medical treatment, Dysport® for migraines comes with some risk of side effects. Mayo Clinic states that common Dysport® side effects are:
- Dry or watery eyes
- Pain at the injection site
- Crooked eyes or smile
Such side effects are irritating but not life-threatening. However, if you experience symptoms like vision problems, difficulty talking or swallowing, or difficulty breathing, contact your doctor immediately. These may be signs of more serious complications.
Fortunately, Dysport® is overall a very safe treatment, and your doctor can mitigate the risk of dangerous side effects by using a functional medicine approach. This involves:
- Taking into account your overall health and health history, not just your health related to the migraines
- Tailoring your treatment plan to you specifically
- Multiple practitioners working together to find the right solution for you
Other Migraine Treatments to Consider
Dysport® can be a great help to those who suffer from migraines, but it is not the only treatment available, nor should it be prescribed in isolation. For the best results, you can combine Dysport® with other treatments, such as:
- Lifestyle changes: A diet and exercise plan customized to your needs can ease migraines. This is because certain foods and movements promote good brain health while others can make you feel worse.
- IV infusion therapy: Your doctor hooks you up to an IV, through which you receive a customized combination of vitamins and minerals that can either improve your overall health or target your migraines specifically.
- Acupuncture: This traditional Chinese treatment has been used to manage pain, including pain caused by migraines. Your doctor inserts long needles in particular areas to ease symptoms.
You should always consult a doctor before starting a new treatment regimen. Not only are such treatments much less risky when performed by a trained professional, a doctor can make sure the treatment you are interested in is safe for you to try.
When choosing a doctor, make sure they are someone you feel comfortable being around and asking questions of. Your doctor’s job extends beyond simply administering injections: they are your guide through the medical world and someone in whom you must be able to place great trust.
If You Have Migraines, Call Us
If you are ready to consider Dysport® for migraines, call to schedule an appointment with Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates today. We can tell you why this treatment may work for you and suggest other treatments that can provide further relief from migraines.