The difference between PRP and stem cell therapy is:
- Platelet-rich therapy (PRP) involves extracting platelets from your blood via plasma and using the PRP to heal damaged tissue in your body.
- Stem cell therapy involves extracting stem cells from fatty tissue or bone marrow and using these cells to encourage cell growth in areas where it has stopped.
Both of these treatments fall under regenerative medicine since they encourage healing and regrowth in muscle tissue, which is why they’re often paired together as treatment. People who suffer from chronic illnesses or who sustained a severe injury may use PRP and stem cell therapy as part of their recovery.
Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy Focuses on Tissue Restoration
To understand how platelet-rich plasma encourages tissue regeneration in the body, you must understand the benefits and properties of platelets in the bloodstream. The Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology explains the functions of platelets as:
- Healing response to injuries: When you get injured, your body’s initial response is to send platelets through the bloodstream to the wounded area. Platelets release growth factors and plasma-derived fibrinogen, which is a protein that forms blood clots so that you stop bleeding.
- Tissue repair: Once platelets release growth factors, they concentrate on the wound to repair damaged tissue. Throughout the healing process, platelets nurture the wound so that the tissue can grow enough to restore its functions.
- Anti-inflammatory response: Another key component of platelets is that they reduce pain and inflammation during the healing process. This is also why PRP therapy has been suggested as a pain management treatment.
A physician can transfer the PRP to the treatment area to restore damaged tissue, reduce pain, or even encourage bone marrow healing by extracting platelet-rich plasma from your body. For example, if you suffer from hair loss, a physician can inject PRP into your scalp to treat damaged hair follicles and restore their growth properties.
Call (386) 366-7418 to Book an Anti Aging Consultation
Stem Cell Therapy Focuses on Cellular Regrowth
Stem cells are primitive cells that have yet to develop functional properties. They serve as “baby cells,” in that they have the potential to adopt functional properties based on the cells surrounding them or based on what the body needs. As such, stem cells serve to:
- Grow new cells: Stem cells also release growth factors to accelerate healing for damaged muscle tissue. Whereas platelets encourage tissue restoration, stem cells can replace damaged tissue to complete it.
- Encourage stronger immune systems: Stem cells also produce cytokines, which play a role in controlling immune system responses. These proteins send signals to cells to grow and adopt necessary functions that the body needs, which encourages the immune system to heal itself and fight against threats, such as cancer.
- Respond to inflammation and pain: Cytokines also help reduce pathological pain and inflammation in the nervous system, according to a study published in International Anesthesiology Clinics. For example, stem cells can be injected into the spinal cord to replace damaged cells or tissue and reduce “abnormal spontaneous activity from injured nerve fibers or compressed/inflamed DRG neurons.”
Many patients combine PRP and stem cell therapy since their cellular functions complement each other. If you are interested in getting PRP and stem cell therapy, you can visit our facility for a consultation to discuss whether this treatment method is suitable for your health condition.
What Can PRP Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Be Used to Treat?
PRP therapy and stem cell therapy can be used as a treatment for:
- Chronic pain or inflammation
- Muscle injuries
- Ligament injuries
- Tendon injuries
- Sports-related injuries
- Osteoarthritis and other joint pain conditions
- Erectile dysfunction
- Hair loss
Are There Any Risks from PRP Therapies and Stem Cell Therapies?
Both PRP and stem cell therapy are non-invasive procedures, meaning you do not require surgery to receive these treatments. However, all medical procedures contain some level of risk depending on the individual patient or the methods used to complete the procedure.
With PRP and stem cell therapy, the procedure will involve extracting platelet-rich plasma and/or stem cells from your body and injecting these substances into the area you want to treat. Because of this, risks involve side effects from the injection, such as:
- Swelling or soreness around the injection site
- Bruising around the injection site
- Bleeding from the injection site
- Minor scarring caused by the injection
You should not feel significant pain after the procedure. Most patients can return to regular activities within the same day. However, if you experience pain or other abnormal side effects, alert your physician immediately.
Click to contact an anti aging doctor today
Schedule Your First PRP and Stem Cell Therapy Appointment Today
Are you interested in getting PRP and stem cell therapy? At Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates, we offer various treatments to patients to restore damaged tissue and encourage better cell growth. These therapies can help patients suffering from chronic pain, hair loss, and erectile dysfunction, among other health conditions. All patients get a physical exam and consultation before treatment begins.
Call (386) 366-7418 today to schedule your first appointment at our Port Orange facility. Our office is located on Dunlawton Avenue.
Call or text (386) 366-7418 or Schedule an Appointment Today!