Erectile dysfunction (ED) can start at any age and will affect nearly every man at some point in his life. According to Translational Andrology and Urology, by the time a man is in his 40s, he has a 40 percent chance of having some form of ED. From there, the chances of experiencing ED increase by about 10 percent per decade.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
While there is no average age for when erectile dysfunction starts, many health problems associated with aging are linked to ED. According to the Mayo Clinic, physical issues that may lead to sexual health problems include:
- Low testosterone
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Sleep disorders
- High cholesterol
- Clogged blood vessels
However, mental health issues can also cause ED, including stress, anxiety, depression, and relationship problems. Additionally, certain medications and lifestyle choices, such as smoking and alcohol, and drug abuse, can contribute to the condition.
Types of ED
Johns Hopkins Medicine identifies several types of erectile dysfunction, including:
- Inability to maintain an erection – Experts believe atrophy and fibrosis may cause this issue. Atrophy is the total or partial wasting away of tissue, and fibrosis is excess tissue growth. Often, the inability to maintain an erection is an early sign of ED. Also called venous leak, the problem can indicate atherosclerosis and vascular disease.
- Organic erectile dysfunction – This type of ED involves the veins and arteries in the penis. It is caused by many of the physical risk factors already discussed. Sometimes, the condition results from trauma, such as an accident or surgery.
- Premature ejaculation (PE) – PE can be lifelong, acquired, or due to performance anxiety. Those who experience this form of sexual dysfunction ejaculate almost immediately after penetration.
Call (386) 366-7418 to Book an Anti Aging Consultation
How Is Erectile Dysfunction Diagnosed?
Many people have trouble discussing sexual matters with their healthcare provider. They may feel embarrassed or believe that the problem is too personal. However, if you have ED, it is imperative you seek treatment. ED can affect your relationships and quality of life, but it can also be a sign of more serious health issues.
Our health care team is here to listen to you without judgment. We are discreet, and we understand. We will start by conducting a physical examination and discussing your habits, symptoms, underlying health conditions, and mental and emotional factors. Finally, we will order necessary laboratory tests, which may include measuring your testosterone and taking samples of your blood, urine, and enzymes.
When Should You Seek Treatment?
The occasional erectile problem is probably not a cause for concern. However, if failure to get or maintain an erection happens regularly, it may be time to consult a medical professional, especially if the problem:
- Causes relationship issues
- Affects your self-esteem
- Causes stress, depression, or anxiety
- You have heart disease, diabetes, or another associated medical condition
What Are Your Treatment Options?
We do not believe in simply treating ED with popular medications like Viagra®. Instead, we take a broad approach that involves treating ED by addressing underlying health problems and working toward a healthier lifestyle. We also offer several research-based erectile dysfunction treatments, including:
- Revive Wave© therapy – Acoustic pressure wave therapy (APWT) uses target shockwave therapy to regenerate penile tissue and vascular functions. In addition, the treatment encourages increased blood flow and cell metabolism.
- Exosome therapy – This treatment uses your body’s own stem cells, which we extract from fatty tissue in an area like your abdomen.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy – The Priapus Shot, or P-Shot®, uses your body’s own cells and tissues to encourage cell growth. We take a sample of your blood, separate the platelets, and inject them back into your body to promote sexual stamina, firmness, and increased sensitivity.
Your specific treatment plan will depend on your needs and factors unique to you, including your age, medical history, and personal preferences. Likewise, treatment length is different for everyone, but most patients see noticeable results within the first month.
Revive Men’s Health
We created Revive Men’s Health to meet the needs of men suffering from sexual health problems. Rather than relying on oral medication, we get to the root causes of ED and other men’s health issues, including:
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Muscle loss
- Reduced libido
Click to contact an anti aging doctor today
Call Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates Today
No matter your age, if erectile dysfunction is affecting you, reach out to our Florida care team for help. At Anti-Aging & Regenerative Associates, our integrative practice focuses on serving the whole body, not merely mitigating the symptoms. We want to help you improve your sexual health and overall physical condition, and we strive to do so with compassion, respect, and the highest level of care.
We offer affordable treatments that many patients can pay without the need for insurance. Call to schedule an appointment with our doctors and staff, and to learn more about treating erectile dysfunction and improving your sexual health.
Call or text (386) 366-7418 or Schedule an Appointment Today!